If you are interested in adopting any dog we recommend you visit the dog in the shelter or their foster home. Spend time with the dog and get to know them better. If you have children or other dogs you will need to introduce them to the dog also before making a decision. It is a good idea to take your time with this decision as it is potentially a 10+ year commitment to this animal.
Once you decide you would like to adopt a dog from KWWSPCA this is what happens:
- Fill out our pre-adoption form – download the KWWSPCA PRE-ADOPTION FORM 2018 and email it to email@example.com or send it to our animal shelter. Details are on the form.
- Let us know which dog you want to adopt and we will hold the dog as ‘provisionally booked’.
- We will then arrange to do a home check to ensure your home is suitable for the dog (check you have a secure garden, find out where the dog will sleep and where the dog will be left when you’re not there).
- Once your home check is completed you can come to the shelter and fill out the adoption paperwork (other arrangements are made where the dog is in foster). We require an adoption donation of €130 towards the cost of neutering, microchipping and vaccinating the dog.
- You provide us with a photo ID and proof of address, a dog licence for the dog you are adopting and the adoption donation. We provide you with the dog’s vaccination card, microchip details and a copy of the adoption form.
- That’s it – you can now take your dog home! You can now arrange to transfer the dog’s microchip over to your ownership and you must also put a tag on your dog’s collar with your contact information as this is a legal requirement for all dog owners.
We provide new owners with a handout offering some advice and tips on settling in their new dog (download KWWSPCA Guide to Helping Your Rescue Dog Settle In Their New Home). We are available to offer advice and support and ask that new owners stay in contact with us – particularly if there are any difficulties. Bear in mind that moving to a new home is a massive upheaval for a dog and it can take several weeks to adjust to their new life so be patient!
Contact us on 087-1279835 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries relating to adoption.