THE SHELTER IS CLOSED TO VISITORS AT THE PRESENT TIME WITHOUT A PRE-ARRANGED APPOINTMENT.
FIRST have a look at the dogs we have available for adoption. These can been seen here on the right and the full details are given under ‘Adopt a Dog’. If there is a dog that you feel you would like to offer a home to, THEN:
- Fill out our expression of interest form by clicking on the following: KWWSPCA EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FORM
- We will assess your details and see if your chosen dog would be a match for you. If so, we will then arrange for you to visit our shelter by appointment to meet the dog, and if you have a dog already then you should bring your dog for a meet and greet. All going well, you can then reserve the dog.
- We will then arrange to do a home check to ensure your home is suitable for the dog (check you have a secure garden, find out where the dog will sleep and where the dog will be left when you’re not there, etc).
- Once your home check is completed and successful you can come to the shelter and fill out the adoption paperwork (other arrangements are made where the dog is in foster). We require an adoption donation of €200 (* see below) which helps offset the cost of neutering microchipping and vaccinating the dog, a full health check and a dental when necessary.
- You need to provide us with a photo ID and proof of address, a dog licence for the dog you are adopting and the adoption donation (* see below), collar tag, lead and collar should also be brought at the time of collection. We provide you with the dog’s vaccination card, microchip details and a copy of the adoption form.
- That’s it – you can now take your dog home!
Please do not submit an expression of interest form unless you see a dog that you are interested in.
*Adoption Donation. At the moment the adopotion donation is €200. This can be paid in cash or by cheque on the day you complete the adoption, or it can paid in advance by PayPal (to email@example.com) or by DonorBox (via the KWWSPCA website). If paying by PayPal or Donorbox, please indicate on the payment details that it is for a dog adoption and add the name of the dog. There are no facilities at the Shelter for credit card payments.
You can download advice and tips for settling a dog into its new home (download KWWSPCA Guide to Helping Your Rescue Dog Settle In Their New Home). We are available to offer advice and support and ask that new owners stay in contact with us – particularly if there are any difficulties. Bear in mind that moving to a new home is a massive upheaval for a dog and it can take several weeks to adjust to their new life so be patient!
Bear in mind the ‘rule of three’: it takes three days for a dog to decompress, three weeks for a dog to get to know your routine, and three months for a dog to start to fully settle in your home. There is no magic fix, they will not settle overnight. They have suffered a lot of upheaval in their lives and you need to be patient, kind and compassionate with them. They are now your new family member and should be treated as such.
Contact us on 087-1279835 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries relating to dog adoption.