Our Animal Shelter near Athgarvan village in County Kildare opened in 2014. The shelter provides a temporary home for dogs in the care of the KWWSPCA while they are awating adoption. Members of the public can visit the dogs at the shelter from 1-3pm, Monday to Saturday during the Winter months and from 2-4pm Monday to Saturday during the Summer months. We are not open to the public on Sundays. We may be able to accommodate visitors at other times by appointment. We also have a number of dogs in foster homes who can be visited by appointment with the fosterer.
Our shelter is entirely staffed by volunteers and there are no paid employees. This requires a huge commitment from all the volunteers involved and is greatly appreciated by the KWWSPCA (and of course the dogs in our care!) Find out how to become a volunteer.
We are fortunate to have the following facilities at our animal shelter:
- A large barn containing 12 large kennels (formerly horse stables) and 3 isolations kennels where the dogs all sleep indoors in comfortable dog beds and have heating lamps to help them stay warm in colder weather.
- A veterinary/grooming unit where we can weigh and assess the dogs and wash/groom them.
- External dog runs where the dogs spend their daytime.
- Enclosed garden for offlead playtime.
- Several paddocks and a large area of land for walking the dogs.
- An office with rooms for dogs who are under-the-weather or in need of some quiet time away from the noise of the kennels.
- A large parking area for volunteer and visitor cars.
The Shelter and The Community
The shelter provides beneficial services to the wider community by offering work experience to local students and others on employment programmes. We also run educational events at the shelter for secondary students (transition year and above) and colleges where the students are given a presentation about the KWWSPCA and get to spend time with our dogs. Find out more about our free Education programme.
The shelter is located on the road between Athgarvan and Twomilehouse village. From Newbridge go to Athgarvan village and take a left at the traffic lights (Athgarvan Inn on the corner). Pass Newbridge Rugby Club on your right. Pass over the motorway bridge and the shelter is the 5th property on the left after the motorway. There are large wooden gates and a small KWWSPCA sign outside.