The KWWSPCA Animal Shelter near Athgarvan village in County Kildare opened in 2014. The shelter provides a temporary home for dogs and cats in the care of the KWWSPCA while they are awaiting adoption. The Shelter is closed to casual visitors but members of the public can visit the rescue dogs and cats at the shelter by appointment. We also sometimes have some animals in foster homes who can be visited by appointment with the fosterer.
Our shelter is entirely staffed by volunteers and there are no paid employees. This requires a huge commitment from all the volunteers involved and is greatly appreciated by the KWWSPCA (and of course the dogs and cats in our care!) Find out how to become a volunteer.
We are fortunate to have the following facilities at our animal shelter:
- A large barn containing 12 large kennels (formerly horse stables) and 3 isolation kennels where the dogs all sleep indoors in comfortable dog beds at night and have heating lamps to help them stay warm in colder weather.
- A veterinary/grooming unit where we can weigh and assess the dogs and wash and groom them.
- External dog runs where the dogs spend their daytime.
- Enclosed garden for off lead playtime.
- Several paddocks and a large area of land for walking the dogs.
- A house with rooms for the cats and kittens and also any dog who is under-the-weather or in need of some quiet time away from the noise of the kennels.
- Outside runs for the cats and kittens when the weather is suitable.
- A large parking area for volunteer and visitor cars.
The KWWSPCA Animal Shelter is located on the road between Athgarvan and Twomilehouse village; the Eircode is W12 EV60. From Newbridge go to Athgarvan village and take a left at the traffic lights (Athgarvan Inn on the corner). Pass Newbridge Rugby Club on your right. Pass over the motorway bridge and the Shelter is the 5th property on the left after the motorway bridge. There are large wooden gates and a small KWWSPCA sign outside.