The KWWSPCA was founded in 1940 (initially as the Kildare SPCA) to help prevent and deal with cases of animal cruelty. Run solely by volunteers, the Society is devoted to the rescue, care and re-homing of animals throughout Kildare and West Wicklow. The KWWSPCA has no paid employees and is solely run by volunteers.
Work We Do
The KWWSPCA does the following work in animal rescue and rehoming in Kildare and West Wicklow:
- Investigates cases of animal cruelty in Kildare and West Wicklow – find out how to report animal cruelty.
- Operates an animal shelter in Athgarvan, County Kildare.
- Maintains a network of foster homes for animals requiring foster care.
- Works with the Kildare Dog Warden to advertise and rehome dogs in the care of the warden service and takes dogs out of the Kildare Pound, once they have done their statutory 5 days there, and finds them new homes.
- Works with Hundar Utan Hem to rehome Irish dogs to families in Sweden – click here to learn how we started working with this charity and successful rehoming of our dogs to Sweden.
- Advertises lost and found animals on our Facebook page to reunite lost pets with their owners.
Chairperson’s Annual Report
Our funding mainly comes from the following sources:
- An annual grant from the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine
- Donations – find out by going to make a donation
- Fund raising events – see our upcoming events.
- Rehoming fees for the animals being rehomed
- Our charity shop Noah’s Ark, on Cutlery Lane in Newbridge
- Selling some items donated to the KWWSPCA online through the Noah’s Ark Facebook page and other online sites
The KWWSPCA is a registered charity (Number CHY 6280) and is registered with the Charities Regulatory Authority (number 20011048). The accounts are audited annually and available for inspection in the Companies Registry Office or on request.
Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM)
The KWWSPCA is very grateful for the financial support of the DAFM. At the end of 2022, an increase in the Animal Welfare Grant Funding from €34,500 to €58.025 to the KWWSPCA was announced. The Department’s financial support of the Society and its continued interest in its work is very much appreciated and much needed.
The KWWSPCA is registered with the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine to rehome dogs and cats and other animals according to the Department’s regulations. The KWWSPCA’s Registration Number with the Department is IPT20001C.