Report Animal Cruelty or Neglect/Injured and Abandoned Wildlife

The KWWSPCA  Animal Welfare Volunteers are at the forefront of animal welfare in County Kildare and in West Wicklow and they are supported by the local Garda, the ISPCA Inspectorate and the Inspectorate of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine. Our Volunteers respond to allegations of cruelty, neglect and abuse and also aid sick and injured animals.  In the vast majority of cases involving domestic pets, our animal welfare volunteer finds a solution by working with the owners of the animal(s) involved.  Unfortunately, this is not always the case and on occasions real instances of cruelty, neglect or abuse are uncovered.  The KWWSPCA animal welfare volunteer interact with many animals throughout the year, and where necessary competently follow prosecutions.

Domestic Pets – What To Do If You Suspect Animal Cruelty

If you suspect animal cruelty or neglect in Kildare or West Wicklow, you should phone the KWWSPCA Helpline (087 6887136)  to report the case. Any information that is given, including your name and contact details, are kept in the strictest confidence. You must be able to give the exact location of the animal and as much information as possible about the situation.  In some cases, the KWWSPCA Animal Welfare volunteer or one of the other KWWSPCA volunteers will visit the animal(s) concerned and where possible liaise with the owners to improve the situation or remove the animals if possible.  However, the KWWSPCA does not have any statutory power to enter a property or to seize an animal and unless the owners agree voluntarily to surrender the animal, the KWWSPCA is not able to take possession or take further action. In these cases, the information is passed to the ISPCA or the Garda, who do have such powers.  In serious cases of animal abuse and/or neglect, please call your local Garda station and also the ISPCA Helpline on 0818 515515 or 043 3325035 or email

Farm Animals and Equines

The Inspectorate of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine deal with suspected abuse/neglect of farm animals and horses, ponies and donkeys.  Please call its Helpline number 01 6072379 or their Naas Office on 045 873035 or email  You will need to given exact details of where the animals are located.  Your own personal details will not be passed on to any third party without your permission.  For sheep on the Curragh, you need to contact either the Department of Agriculture, see above, of call the Curragh Ranger on 087 2633455.


If you find an inured wild animal or bird, you need to contact Kildare Wildlife Rescue by email to  This email address is manned from 8.00 a.m. to 11.00 p.m. every day.  The exact location of the animal and any relevant information, including photos and videos, should also be sent in your email if possible.  The KWWSPCA works very closely with, and supports, Kildare Wildlife Rescue.